Community Services’ middle school sports programs offer seventh and eighth grade students the opportunities to practice and compete in key sports in preparation for high school sport participation.
Middle School Athletics
Each of our middle schools, Eastern, Central, and Northern oversees the following interscholastic sports for seventh and eighth grade students:
- FALL – Cross Country, Volleyball, *Boys Tennis
- WINTER 1- Boys Basketball, *Girls Swimming & Diving
- WINTER 2 – Girls Basketball, Wrestling, *Boys Swimming & Diving
- SPRING – Track & Field, Girls Water Polo, *Girls Tennis
For information about sports run through the FHPS middle school sports programs, call the middle school athletic offices at the following phone numbers:
- Central Middle School, (616) 493-8750
- Eastern Middle School, (616) 493-8850
- Northern Hills Middle School, (616) 493-8650
*The above noted middle school sports are run through Community Services, call (616) 493-8950.
Only students attending 7th and 8th grade in Forest Hills Public Schools can enroll in middle school athletic programs.
Registration for all middle school sports is done online via Final Forms. A registration link to that form is below.
All middle school sports, regardless of who runs it within FHPS, follow guidelines set forth by the Michigan High School Athletics Association. These guidelines include academic eligibility, athletic physicals, and codes of conduct. Additionally, all coaches adhere to and meet strict employee standards. Instructors are experienced and skilled in teaching and coaching their sport(s), and both programs compete against other middle school teams.
There is no busing associated with the middle school sports program run by Community Services, and parents/guardians of the athletes are responsible for transportation.
Middle school swimming and diving instruction focuses on strengthening and perfecting students’ swimming strokes and diving form while increasing endurance for competition. The team will participate against other schools in the West Michigan Middle School Conference. League Schools: Wayland, East Grand Rapids, Spring Lake, Northview, Byron Center, and Rockford.
- The boys and girls teams consist of athletes from all three FHPS middle schools
- Athletes will choose to participate on the Swim team or Dive team during the first week of practice.
- Practice will be held from Monday through Thursday from 7:30-9:00 pm.
- Meets: Tuesdays and Thursdays (4:00-6:00 pm)
- Transportation is not provided
- Team shirt and swim cap is provided
Girls’ Water Polo
Imagine the sports of soccer, hockey, basketball, and lacrosse combined into one sport, played in the water, without horses! Middle School water polo is an excellent opportunity for girls to gain water polo experience before high school.
Athletes interested in participating the West Michigan Middle School Conference Tennis team should enroll in our middle school tennis team. Coaches emphasize proper forehands, backhands, serves, volleys, overheads, and specialty shots. Court strategies are also taught.