Welcome to the NHMS Counseling Office!
The Role of a Counselor
In accordance with the Michigan School Counselors Association, the role of the elementary counselor in Forest Hills is to:
- Help children develop a better understanding and acceptance of themselves.
- Help children cope with family changes.
- Help children develop decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Help children develop socially and emotionally and to mature in their relationships with others.
- Help parents to understand their child’s emotions, behaviors and learning styles, and to assist them in meeting their child’s needs.
- Help school staff to understand and meet the needs of all students in intellectual, personal, social and emotional areas.
- Help parents and teachers create a positive learning environment.
Counselors present their programs to students in large groups, small groups, and with individuals.