Applications will be available and accepted April 10th – May 12th, 2017 for families interested in applying to Forest Hills Public Schools through Schools of Choice. The deadline for application is May 12th, 2017 by 4 p.m. Applications MUST be submitted to the administration building located at 6590 Cascade Road SE (corner of Cascade and Burton).
Total number of openings available for 2017-2018 will be:
- Grades K-11: 132
- Chinese Immersion kindergarten: 10
- Chinese Immersion 1st grade: 6
- Families must submit their applications to the administration building no later than May 12, 2017 by 4:00 p.m.
- Families will be notified by May 22nd if student accepted.
- Families must confirm their decision to attend by May 31st.
- Waiting list families will be notified about openings and confirm decision to attend beginning July 1st.
- Students who have been suspended, expelled, or convicted of a felony may be excluded.
- Transportation is not provided.
- The Michigan Athletic Association requires a student to wait one semester after enrolling in a new district (under Schools of Choice) before participating in athletics.
If you have any further questions about this process, please contact Lori Cisler, District Student Data Specialist, at (616) 493-8826.
- Does the school and the community match your expectations? Are buildings presentable? Are teachers and students friendly?
- What special services does the school offer? Does it offer the special needs or gifted and talented programming your child might require? Do the extracurricular and athletic offerings match your child’s interests?
- Does the curriculum meet state and national standards? Does the curriculum help prepare children for the realities of the working world and the diverse people they will meet? Does the district offer special programming focused in areas of interest to your child?
- How does the school integrate technology into the classroom? Is technology integrated into the curriculum? Does the school have a well-equipped media center?
- How does the school communicate with families? Do the opportunities for parent involvement meet your needs and desires? Are parents involved in their children’s education?
- What is the student-teacher ratio? Will your child get the attention he or she needs to succeed? Are students actively engaged in their education? Is there a sufficient mix of teaching and self-guided instruction to engage your child?
- Will school or self-provided transportation meet your child’s needs? Will transportation capabilities allow your child to participate in the before- or after-school activities that meet his or her needs and interests?
- Will there be consistency in the curriculum, the staff, and in your child’s friends from year to year?
- How does the school handle disciplinary matters? What is the parent’s involvement in disciplinary matters?
- What is the school doing to meet demands for improved student achievement? Are parents, teachers and administrators actively involved in efforts to ensure curriculum and technology are current and appropriate for student needs?