Key Points for Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice
- If selected, we will do our best to place your child at your requested school. However, class sizes may require an alternate placement. Initial placements are tentative and may be changed any time prior to the first day of school.
- Placement may be denied for students who have been suspended, expelled, or convicted of a felony.
- Once accepted into SOC, there is no need to apply every year as long as you reside in a qualifying district.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent.
- There are MHSAA requirements for transfer students. Please review rules on the MHSAA website if you have questions.
- For additional information about the Schools of Choice program, please visit the KISD Schools of Choice website.
2020-2021 School Year
Number of openings for 2020-2021: TBD
A fillable PDF version of the application is found at the following link. (Application link – not available until April 13) Applications are accepted from April 13 through 4 p.m. May 15 at the Administration Building, 6590 Cascade Rd SE. The Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Program is a lottery-oriented system, and not first-come, first-served. Verification of residency will be required with your application. Applicants who submit applications to more than one district may be disqualified from Schools of Choice program.
We anticipate receiving more applications than available openings. Therefore, applicants are drawn through a random drawing.
Notification of Placements
Families are notified via email by May 27 of placement status. Parent/Guardian must return a signed Letter of Acceptance to the Administration Building to confirm their child’s placement no later than June 5, 2020.
Those applicants not initially placed are put on a waiting list. Notification is sent throughout the summer if openings become available.
If you have any further questions about this process, please contact Cathy Flynn, Pupil Accountant, at (616) 493-8826.