Key Points for Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice
- If selected, we will do our best to place your child at your requested school. However, class sizes may require an alternate placement. Initial placements are tentative and may be changed any time prior to the first day of school.
- Placement may be denied for students who have been suspended, expelled, or convicted of a felony.
- Once accepted into SOC, there is no need to apply every year as long as you reside in a qualifying district.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent.
- There are MHSAA requirements for transfer students. Please review the sport-specific transfer rules from the MHSAA .
- For additional information about the Schools of Choice program, please visit the KISD Schools of Choice website.
2022-2023 School Year
The Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Program is a lottery-oriented system and is not based on a first-come, first-served process. Applicants who submit applications to more than one district may be disqualified from the Schools of Choice program.
Proof of residency must be submitted with your application.
Acceptable documents are:
- Lease Agreement (including the page with the landlord and tenant signatures)
- Mortgage Statement (within last month)
- City Assessor’s Tax Statement (current year)
- Current Utility bill or Cable bill (within last month)
Applications were due by 4 p.m. on May 13, 2022.
We anticipate receiving more applications than available openings. Therefore, applicants are drawn through a random drawing.
Notification of Placements
Parents will be notified about placement by May 27, 2022. Families will receive, via email, a Letter of Acceptance indicating placement details. A parent/guardian must sign and return the Letter of Acceptance no later than June 3, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm their child’s placement.
Those applicants not initially selected for placement are put on a waiting list. Parents will be contacted throughout the summer, if openings become available.
If you have any further questions about this process, please email email@example.com or call (616) 493-8826.