Welcome to Goodwillie Environmental School!
Welcome to Goodwillie Environmental 5/6 School located within the Forest Hills School District, one of our Nation’s great public school systems! The staff at Goodwillie is committed to knowing every student’s interests and gifts, and to providing the educational opportunities that will maximize each one’s preparation for the future.
In addition, our mission is to support, engage, and have all students achieve their individual potential. We will accomplish this by providing all learners with 21st century skills that will ensure a meaningful and successful experience while at Goodwillie as well as in the community.
This is a school for children who:
- Love being outside in all kinds of weather.
- Enjoy working with others but can work independently also.
- Are comfortable with or curious about nature.
- Enjoy physical activity.
- Are self-disciplined and persistent about learning.Are interested in science and investigation.
We invite you to visit our main office, email us, or contact our main office number at 616-493-8633 where we will be happy to help you.
Thank you for your interest in and your support of Goodwillie Environmental 5/6 School.
According to FHPS Board Policy, to be eligible for admission, students must be enrolled and maintain enrollment in Forest Hills Public Schools by September of fourth grade. The exception to this rule is a student that becomes a Forest Hills Public Schools resident and enrolls in Forest Hills Public Schools between September 1 and January 31 of their fourth grade year.
As GES is a district-wide magnet school, at the end of the two-year program, students will return to the middle school that corresponds with the current elementary school they are attending.
If you would like to nominate your child, the process begins with you completing a Parent Nomination Letter and Parent Evaluation Form and sending them back to your elementary school office.
Goals For Goodwillie Environmental School
- Use a natural setting to generate a stimulating learning environment that will allow students to acquaint themselves with and feel connected to the natural world.
- Create an environment that models “living lightly.”
- Integrate the Forest Hills 5th and 6th grade curriculum with an environmental theme.
- Nurture responsibility and independence through project based learning.
- Address the unique learning needs of individual children.
- Develop research and study skills through involvement in projects related to environmental awareness.
- Internalize the importance of cooperation and teamwork through team building activities.
- Develop leadership skills through activities that promote district wide environmental responsibility and awareness.
- Improve self-confidence, self-awareness and social awareness.
- Promote risk-taking and physical fitness through learning new outdoor/recreational skills.