The following are guidelines for accepting foreign exchange students at Forest Hills Eastern High School. These guidelines are clearly communicated to every foreign exchange coordinator when we begin discussion regarding possible students. Eastern High School is eager to accept students from other countries. The experience benefits all students and staff at Eastern High.
- Agencies must be a J-1 Inbound program approved by CSIET. Agencies must submit a copy of the CSIET J-1 Inbound Acceptance of Certification document to the registrar. It is at the discretion of an Eastern High School representative to determine the agency coordinators/directors within CSIET approved programs from whom they will accept applications.
- Foreign exchange students must not have graduated from the high school in their home country before enrolling at Forest Hills Eastern. Students must either require further education upon returning home or use a Forest Hills transcript in their home country to earn their high school diploma. A transcript from the student’s school to verify records and grades is required before acceptance is determined. The transcript must be translated in English. It is the responsibility of the program coordinator or director to make this determination before the students enter the United States. Coordinators are told during initial conversations that neglecting this guideline will result in our not placing students from their program in this building for at least one year.
- Students must have a reasonable command of the English language. They will need to communicate in the academic arena, socially, and with the auditors while in the United States. Eastern High will use a written letter from the student, English teacher recommendations, and ELTiS form to determine English proficiency. An ELTiS form 2.0 level 5 proficiency is desired. In some circumstances a level 4 will be considered. In addition to these items, a skype interview with the student in English may be conducted by a school representative. Coordinators will need to assist the school representative with scheduling the interview if it is requested.
- Foreign Exchange students must have received all required immunizations set forth by the Michigan Department of Health before attending Eastern High School. Agency coordinators are responsible for evaluating whether the requirements have been met as outlined by the Michigan Department of Health as well as obtaining any needed immunizations once the student is state side. This is not the responsibility of the host family or Forest Hills Public Schools staff. If immunizations are not complete, the student will NOT BE allowed to attend school. Immunization records must be translated in English and submitted with the application.
- Eastern High School prefers students representing a variety of countries rather than two or more from the same country. Acceptance will not be first come, first serve and may depend on a multitude of factors. The number of students accepted varies from year to year based on available seats.
- Foreign exchange students will be placed as sophomores, not as juniors or seniors. Since our seniors are finished with classes before the underclassmen, and because we want a full experience for foreign exchange students, coordinators should support the school in this when the students enroll. In addition, foreign exchange students will not receive a Forest Hills Eastern High School diploma. For this reason, Eastern High prefers to accept students who are 16-17 years old rather than 18. Students are expected to maintain enrollment for one school year.
- Coordinators will work in tandem with the registrar and host families to determine which students to accept. Coordinators are responsible, not Eastern High, for finding host families. It is recommended that coordinators live within a reasonable driving distance from the high school. Host families will receive by mail and/or electronic communication information regarding their student and Eastern High School.
Applications must include the following:
- Agency Application
- High School Enrollment/Acceptance Form
- Student Letter
- English Teacher Recommendation
- Health Record
- Immunization Record (translated in English)
- ELTiS 2.0 Score Report
- Current Official Transcript (translated in English)
- Host Family Information
- Copy of the agency CSIET J-1 Acceptance of Certification document
- Anything else deemed necessary to review student for placement
Updated July 2021