Welcome to Northern Hills Middle School!
In partnership with our community, Forest Hills Public Schools will provide all learners with opportunities to acquire the knowledge, skills, and experiences necessary to build meaningful and productive lives.
Team Name: Huskies
Blue and Black
School Day Schedule:
Start of School Day 7:45 a.m.
End of School Day 2:50 p.m.
Points of Pride
- 73 percent of our students were on the Honor Roll or received Honorable Mention
- High academic standings as a Michigan Reward School
- Northern Hills Middle School is extremely proud of its GLI/Lead the Way class that fosters the opportunity for students to create an environment that is school service oriented, appreciates and nurtures diversity, and ensures the opportunity for student voice into our student culture. Our Lead the Way students led our student body in providing needy children with holiday gifts through Operation Give.
- Our staff continue to commit to and provide extracurricular programs that meet the needs and interests of our students and allow them to compete in National History Day, Science Olympiad, Odyssey of the Mind and Math Counts. We also offer the opportunity to compete in a local Geography and Spelling Bee with the potential of regional, state and national participation. Aiden Mischley, 8th grader will advance to the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington DC.
- The Music Program NHMS maintains an exceptionally high participation by our students.
- The NHMS Media Center is a hub of activity for the building. We pride ourselves in being able to match students with a just-right-read whether that be fiction, non-fiction, graphic novel, in print or electronic format. The media center hosts many fun activities and contests to encourage enthusiasm about books, reading and just being in the library.
- Our gifted and talented students may opt to participate in an accelerated math curriculum or select challenge classes in language arts, social studies, or science. In addition, several of our seventh and eighth grade students qualified to participate in the Midwest Talent Search and/or the ATYP program extending coursework at the college level.
- Students with special needs are offered a wide array of services dependent on their need for support from categorical services to full inclusion and have shown exceptional growth this year.
- Our counseling program that includes: classroom guidance, small group discussions, support groups, mentorship program for eighth grade, new student groups, Career Day, after school academic assistance and individual and group counseling sessions.
- We offer a wide variety of career-based Exploratory Classes to meet the interests of our students that support individual development in art, music, physical education, and life skills.
- NHMS has established a strong philosophy that supports and encourages individual respect and responsibility. Through this philosophy we have developed several school wide programs such as the Ernie Popiel Achievement Award and “Ernie Days” that recognize students for good citizenship and academic achievement.
- Our Athletic Program draws in almost 75% of our population through a variety of cut and no-cut sports giving students the opportunity to compete for their school and develop sports skills through programs that maximize participation. NHMS students participated in “Hoops for Heart”, Boater Safety , and Off Road Vehicle Safety to through Physical Education classes to promote fitness and safety both in and out of school.
- Extensions beyond the classroom are provided through field trips to Chicago for choir and orchestra students, the annual 8th grade two day educational field trip to Mackinac and Mackinac Island, and trip to Spain through a partnership with Image Tours for immersion students.
- An annual end of year Pride Day that featured over 50 students performing unique talents at our all school talent show and many activities to celebrate “Husky Pride!”
- Incoming seventh grade students were treated to a visit to NHMS to augment a successful transition to middle school through tours, a welcome assembly, student panels to provide insight into middle school life, and lunch in the NHMS cafeteria. Every student participated in this program and was matched to an incoming seventh grade student creating a satisfying and uplifting experience for all students.
- Project Linus – Our students have participated in making blankets for Devos Children’s Hospital to support the comfort of terminally ill children.
Contact Northern Hills Middle School
3775 Leonard Street NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
School Office Hours:
M-F, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Main Office: (616) 493-8650
Attendance Line: (616) 493-8666
Guidance Office: (616) 493-8640
Information Hotline: (616) 493-8640
Athletics: (616) 493-8650
Fax: (616) 493-8686