Meet the Candidates: Michael T. Seekell
- I am Mike Seekell. I’ve lived in the Forest Hills school district my entire life. I attended Ada Elementary, Central Middle, and Central High. My education continued at the University of Michigan where I earned a BA in Economics. I have five children that have also attended and graduated from FHPS. I’ve served on the FHPS Board of Education for eight years. Prior to my service on the FHPS Board, I served six years as trustee on the Forest Hills Public Schools Foundation Board. My board experience has been satisfying. I’ve enjoyed playing a role in the evolving educational environment in the district and want to continue that work.
- My professional education is in economics and investments. I am a Financial Advisor with 32 years of experience serving individuals and companies with their specific investment and planning needs. These skills have benefited the district as many financial decisions are discussed each month.
- There are vast challenges facing public schools both here and around the country. COVID-19 is the obvious one. Student engagement and achievement are also difficult issues as are teacher engagement and achievement. FHPS, under the leadership of our superintendent, has taken on these challenges. We’ve worked with health officials and our staff to come up with a hybrid class schedule. Is it perfect? No, however, it allows us to tiptoe into the school year with the opportunity for face-to-face learning. Superintendent Behm also has been a champion of project-based learning (Gone Boarding) and a robust STEM program. The district hires the finest teachers and encourages them to be collaborative and creative.
- My experience with my fellow board members has been fantastic. We communicate regularly to ask questions and offer opinions. As issues arise within the district, we tackle them thoughtfully. The board has endeavored to dream, too. We’ve considered and vetted several ideas for creative learning experiences for the students and staff.
- My vision is for FHPS to be the standard that other districts strive to become. We have a vibrant, supportive community that expects a great education product. Those high standards are the driving force behind our vision. The highest honor is for current and future community members to seek out FHPS because of its reputation as being the best public school offering available. That demand leads to strong community involvement, passionate educators, accomplished students, and a healthy, growing local economy. A win, win, win, win!