Bus update for the week of March 1. Service suspended for: #5 – Pine Ridge, #5 – Central Middle/Central High, #6 – Northern Trails, #6 – Northern Middle/Northern High, #74 Knapp Forest, #74 – Eastern Middle/Eastern High, #75 – Central Woodlands, #75 – Central Middle/Central High. Service resumes for: #40 – Northern Trails, #40 – Northern Middle/Northern High, #65 – Thornapple, #65 – Central Middle/Central High, #72 – Knapp Forest, #72 – Eastern Middle/Eastern High, #93 – Pine Ridge, #93 – Northern Middle/Northern High.
While we know having a day off from school while staff has continued professional learning causes challenges for families with schedules, childcare routines, and more, these days on the FHPS calendar are important for our staff. As we grow as a learning community, it is important for our staff to come together for a set period of time and focus on their specific learning targets and goals. This ultimately has a positive impact on our classrooms, schools, and our students. These staff days have embedded professional learning and are driven by a multitude of goals. While each side of the district may have done something a bit different and most of the professional learning was done remotely with safety in mind, the goal is always how can staff improve to help our students improve. The following is just a small example of the types of professional learning that occurred on Jan. 18, 2021.
- K-6 Grade Teachers: Strengthening literacy instruction in balanced literacy
- Elementary Special Area Teachers: Remote teaching, standards-based work
- Special Education Educators: Met with FHPS Student Services
- K-8 Grade Chinese Immersion Teachers: Proficiency and literacy of expected learning goals and developing learner profiles
- K-6 Spanish Immersion Teachers: District-wide literacy professional learning and immersion-specific breakout sessions
- Middle School Teachers: Cultural intelligence work and social-emotional support for students
- High School Teachers: Social-emotional learning and support for students and learning about the Canvas platform
- High School Elective Teachers: Focused on ways to use Canvas with their students