We hope this letter finds you well rested and ready for the new school year. We are looking forward to the arrival of just over 1150 students in less than a month. The purpose of this letter is to provide information prior to your orientation and to let you know of some changes.
Seniors ONLY: You may come to the FHN main office any time, Friday, August 10 through Friday, August 17, from 8:00 a.m. – 2 p.m. to take care of your orientation obligations. All paperwork for seniors may be handed in during this time and seniors will then be able to purchase their parking permits and choose their lockers. No parking permits will be sold or lockers handed out until all paperwork is turned in. Seniors must then come in during orientation (at noon) for a mandatory senior meeting (you will receive information regarding senior retreat, senior sunrise, and other important senior year information) and to get your pictures taken for ID Cards and high school records. This session will take no longer that one hour.
All Other Students
Mandatory orientation sessions for all other students are as follows:
Monday, August 20, 2018
- Freshmen orientation at 7:30 A.M.
- Sophomore orientation at 9:30 A.M.
- Senior orientation at 12:00 P.M.
- Junior orientation at 1:00 P.M.
Thursday, August 23, 2018
- Make-up orientation for all grades in Media Center at 8:00 A.M.
The Monday sessions will begin in the student commons/cafeteria and will last less than two hours. Please enter the building through the back commons entrance. Upon arrival students will be asked for the following items, which must be completely filled out and signed by the student and the parent/guardian:
- Emergency Information Sheet & Health Sheet (included below)
- Handbook/Military/Communication sheet (signed digitally – more information below)
Unless these forms are completely filled out, including parent/guardian signature, students will not complete orientation and must attend the make-up session. If this packet contains a yellow obligation sheet, the student must clear the obligation prior to completing orientation and receiving her/his ID card. Mrs. Christensen will be available in the main office the second week of August to assist in clearing obligations. If there is a dual enrollment, online, or independent study course in your schedule (for either semester), a contract has been included in this packet. You will need to return this contract, with your signature and a parent signature, before you can participate in orientation. You will not be allowed to complete orientation if you have turned in your contract (with parent signature) for these classes.
Students will attend a brief meeting in the auditorium after submitting the above paperwork. They will then move to the commons area to complete orientation, where they will move from station to station completing the checklist they will be given.
- ALL students will be required to have their picture taken in order to receive an ID card.
- Please dress appropriately
- Take time to choose from the package options offered by Geskus Photography (packet sent separately).
- Please make checks payable to Geskus Photography.
- SENIORS – We must be able to see your face on your ID picture (no masks, goggles, etc…)
ALL students driving a vehicle to school must have a parking permit.
We have two parking distinctions. Upper lot parking, which will be assigned to seniors first during their orientation times (August 10 – 17 or on August 24). For the remaining upper lot parking spots, we will have a raffle during orientation for juniors that have filled out their parking permit paperwork and have a current valid driver’s license (NO PARKING PERMITS WILL BE ISSUED TO ANY STUDENT PRIOR TO STUDENTS HAVING A CURRENT VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE.) Please fill out the permit application, including a parent/guardian signature, and bring it to orientation.
The cost for an upper lot parking permit is $35.00 and the cost for a lower lot parking permit is $25.00.
Please make checks payable to Forest Hills Northern H.S.
The cost helps cover a portion of our security budget. We have had an increase in student drivers and therefore will be selling only lower lot permits to sophomore drivers. Parking permits must be hung on the rearview mirror and be visible at all times while the vehicle is on campus. Replacement permits will not be available. Students may move permits between family vehicles and to new vehicles if needed. Students should lock vehicles while on school property and should remove permits if selling vehicles.
- Seniors will choose their lockers during their orientation session.
- All other students have been assigned lockers.
- You will receive your locker and combination with a paper copy of your schedule at orientation after you have turned in all required forms, had your picture taken, and resolved any outstanding obligations.
- Senior pictures for the yearbook are due to Mrs. Damuth (room – West 7) by October 5, 2018.
- This photo needs to be appropriate for a high school yearbook and wallet sized.
- Seniors may sign up and pay for senior retreat.
- The retreat will be held on September 4 & 5, 2018.
- The cost is $60 per person.
- The form at the link below must be turned in, including parent/guardian signature, with your payment by August 20, 2018.
- Monday, August 27, 2018 is a full day
- Zero hour begins at 6:40 A.M.
- (Refer to your schedule for starting hour)
- First hour begins at 7:40 A.M.
- Sixth hour ends at 2:45 P.M.
We ask for your continued cooperation in wearing appropriate clothing to school. Students will be expected to wear clothing that covers undergarments and midriffs. Shirts should not be “see through” and bottoms should cover appropriately. Please refer to the student handbook for additional information.
You should have received an e-mail with all of the form links for you to fill out. You may also access them on our website at https://www.fhps.net/high-schools/northern/ under the “Orientation Forms” heading. We also have hard copy forms available in the front office.
We look forward to a great, productive school year. We are excited to have you here because you are a large part of what makes Northern a great place to be.