Forest Hills Public Schools
6001 Hall Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Summer Hours: M-F, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Office is closed on Fridays in July
Phone: (616) 493-8785 Fax: (616) 493-8797
Darryl Hofstra, Director of Transportation
Our goal is to provide students living within our 68 square miles with safe and reliable transportation to and from school every day. Last year, we drove a record 1,275,000 miles, and were honored to again receive an excellent rating in the annual bus safety inspection conducted by the Michigan State Police. We perform many of the behind the scenes functions for the district.
If you are enrolling a new student, you must first complete the enrollment process. Transportation routing information will be mailed the week of Aug. 24, 2015.
ALL TRANSPORTATION REQUESTS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
Not sure which form you need…..
Schools of Choice Transportation Request
(Non-resident – lives outside of the Forest Hills school district)
Schools of choice students who are ELIGIBLE for transportation received a separate letter, which was mailed in June, requesting information on their transportation needs. It is important that you follow the instructions outlined in the letter as soon as possible to increase your chances of obtaining transportation next year.
Due to safety concerns, bus stop locations and times are not posted on the district website. For the upcoming 2015-2016 school year, transportation routing information will be mailed the week of Aug. 24, 2015.
The Forest Hills Public Schools Transportation Department will strive to provide safe transportation to and from school. Each driver will maintain high professional standards and positive student relationships.
Parents: Please go over the following rules with your children so they know what is expected when they ride a school bus. We ask that you help them understand that riding a school bus is a privilege.
Bus Rider Rules and Regulations
The rules and regulations listed below are the result of careful study based upon the experiences we have had in the operation of a school bus system. Cooperation and courtesy in following these suggestions will permit us to better serve your child.
1. Be at bus stop at least five (5) minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive. Remember if you’re late, everyone on the bus will be late!
2. Quietly remain 10 steps back from the designated stop. Wait to load until the driver signals–no pushing, please.
3. Remain in seat and in a sitting position when bus is in motion.
4. Eating, drinking or smoking is not permitted on the bus.
5. Keep head, arms and hands inside the bus.
6. Musical instruments must be held by the owner. Do not leave them in the aisle or at the front or rear emergency doors.
7. Keep the bus clean.
8. Cooperate with the driver. Follow his/her directions explicitly when practicing Emergency Evacuation Drills.
9. Be courteous. Profanity, vulgar language, fighting, teasing, pushing and shoving will not be tolerated.
10. Leave your seat only after the bus has come to a complete stop.
11. Except in an emergency, only enter or exit from the front door of the bus.
12. Cross in front of the bus when crossing road. DO NOT CROSS IN BACK OF THE BUS.
13. Any malicious damage to a school bus will be paid for by the person responsible for the damage.
Front of Bus Crossing Procedures
The Forest Hills Transportation Department has adopted an approved uniform hand signal for all students who may have to cross in front of the bus. At the beginning of each school year, students in grades K-5 are taught the proper way to safely cross in front of the bus. Parents are asked to please review the following procedures with their children before school begins.
When students have to cross the roadway in front of the bus, they should:
1. Exit the bus and always walk to the front of the bus.
2. Be least ten steps in front of the bus before starting to cross the roadway.
3. Wait for the approved signal (if appropriate) from the driver before crossing.
4. Stop at the traffic side of the bus and look left, right, and left to be sure it is safe to cross.
5. If it is safe to cross, walk across the roadway. DO NOT RUN.