- Students from Central Woodlands 5/6 School and Northern Trails 5/6 School have their artwork titled “Caricatures, Artists, and Bobbleheads” on display at the Grand Rapids Art Museum through April 6. The students, along with their art teacher Merrily Holladay, created over 100 bobbleheads for an exhibit which coincided with Laughfest.
- Congratulations to four Odyssey of the Mind teams who will represent their school and our school district at the World Finals. The following are competing on the world stage: Not-So-Haunted House Problem 2 Division III, Forest Hills Northern High School and Forest Hills Central High School; The Stackable Structure Problem 4 Division III Forest Hills Central High School (also recipient of the Ranatra Fusca Award for excellence in creativity); and Seeing is Believing Problem 5 Division I Thornapple Elementary School. The World Finals will be held at Iowa State University, May 28-31.
- Congratulations to the Forest Hills All-Stars Special Olympics Basketball Team for earning a gold medal at the state tournament.
- Congratulations to Brett Bauman, Northern Hills Middle School student, Danny Richardson, Central Middle School student, and Ram Gindzin, Central Woodlands 5/6 School student, who will represent Forest Hills Public Schools at the state level of the National Geographic Bee, Friday, April 4 at Western Michigan University.
- The Forest Hills Northern High School team finished 2nd in their division at the annual GRCC 9-10 Math Challenge.
- Teachers Kristy Butler and Patti Richardson recently presented at the Michigan Science Teachers Association conference. Their presentations were titled, “BILL – Biology Interactive Learning Logs” explaining how interactive learning logs and lab notebooks allow students and teachers to follow student learning of content throughout the year, and “Deconstructed Dissections” which explored a new way of teaching dissections focusing on enhanced student engagement and examining the evolution of life.
- Sue Gutierrez, principal, Northern Trails 5/6 School, and Christin Topolinski, instructional coach, recently obtained their doctorate degrees.
- David Fouch, Forest Hills Northern High School social studies and AP U.S. history teacher, will be a presenter this summer at FlipCon 14, a national conference for educators who have or will be implementing a classroom model for learning called, “Flipped Learning.”
- Search in Archive
The Re-Design Fashion Show is coming up and students are already busy from all three high schools making clothing from recycled materials, Goodwill castoffs, and new design clothing from scratch. The show is open to the public and admission is free. It will take place on Tuesday, April 16, at the Fine Arts Center from 7:30 – 8:30 p.m. Come and see the wonderful designs these students have produced and enjoy the evening event.
Attached are two videos of the event at the Fine Arts Center on January 28, with Dr. Steve Pastyrnak, Division Chief, Pediatric Psychology at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, and the Q&A panel.
Please click on “Video 1″ and/or Video 2.”
Video 1 – I Dr. Pastyrnak speaking about Stress, Anxiety, Depression, and the Developing Brain.
Video 2 – Is the Q & A panel made up up Dr. Pastyrnak; Dr. Kathleen Howard, Forest Hills Pediatric Assoc.; Tammy Bentley, M.A., L.P.C., FHPS; Aaron Kauffman, L.M.S.W., FHPS; Christy Buck, Executive Director, Mental Health Foundation of West Michigan; and Kathy Freberg, Network 180.
Thursday, February 7, 2013 – All after school and evening activities are canceled.
Art created by high school students from Forest Hills Public Schools is now on view at Kent ISD. The colorful and expressive two-dimensional art can be viewed in the lobby at 2930 Knapp NE during business hours through February 28.
The student artists, taught by Forest Hills Public Schools art teachers Neven Allan, Sarah Bouwkamp, Betsy Ernst, Laura Madison, and Jennifer Swift have studied a variety of art mediums. The artwork on display ranges from paintings and drawings, to photography, to felted needlework and pieces created using bleach.
All events for Saturday, February 2, 2013 are running as scheduled.