We value the communication we have with our school parents and community. This Web site contains a variety of information about our school of interest to you and your child attending Central Woodlands 5/6 School. Please contact us if you have specific questions or comments and will be be happy to help you.
School Day Schedule:
Start of school day 8:40 a.m.
End of school day 3:45 p.m.
School Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
Points of Pride:
- Enrichment Field Trips
- Fifth grade to Greenfield Village
- Fifth grade to Grand Rapids Symphony
- Sixth grade Kalamazoo Nature Center
- Sixth grade students to Grand Rapids Art Museum and a tour of downtown GR sculptures
- Sixth grade students to Camp Rogers for team building.
- Fifth/Sixth grade Millionaire Club Students (students who read over a million words) special activity in coordination with Grand Rapids Public Library
- Fifth/Sixth grade students to Cascade Library to enjoy guest speakers/authors
- Fifth grade students to Calvin College Science Expo
- Fifth/Sixth grade Home Improvement Team (Student Council) representatives participated in Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day March
- Sixth grade language arts/G.A.T.E.WAYS students to Fine Arts Center for “Young Producers”
- Student Council members attended a Global Initiative Workshop (diversity)
- ANNUAL MAGAZINE SALE
- The sale was supported enthusiastically by parents and community to assist Central Woodlands in earning funds for above and beyond enrichment activities, etc., for students. Profits were earned to support our school.
- SERVICE PROJECTS – ALL STUDENTS TAKE PART IN VARIOUS COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS BEFORE THE WINTER HOLIDAYS
- Cared for the elderly at Fountain View in Lowell by music/drama skits, making gift bags, placemats, centerpieces and cards for residents
- Collected food items, lunch bags, breakfast bundles, money, etc., for Kids’ Food Basket
- Adopted a soldier (packages and cards until he comes home)
- Collected items for Gilda’s Club and made placemats for families who stay there
- Soup packets for Family Haven
- Created boxes of necessities for residents of the Veteran’s of America Home
- Parents, staff, and students supported community service projects during the school year with overwhelming donations: American Heart Association – $2600; Haiti Earthquake Victims – $1800
- MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. DAY
- Representatives from our Student Council attended the march in honor of Dr. King in downtown Grand Rapids. Our students also recognized Dr. King and his achievements during the school day. Some of the activities included: watching videos (Our Friend Martin & Ruby Bridges), listening to Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech, writing their own “I Have a Dream” essay, MLK scavenger hunt in the computer lab, reading books about Dr. King, and a creating a timeline of Dr. King’s life.
- ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS
- Central Woodlands recycles batteries, ink cartridges, plastic bottles, plastic bags, paper, and toner.
- Central Woodlands won an Energy Star Award from the U.S. Department of Energy for ranking in the 25 percent nationwide for energy efficiency.
- Central Woodlands received a Green School Certificate as recognition for having ten or more ongoing activities or events dedicated to environmental education and practices.